Peanut Butter Passion Cake
Submitted by Dominique
I had seen this cake recipe on the internet and was dying to try it. I decided to make it for my friend’s birthday whose party was taking place at my house. I knew that she was allergic to gluten so I made some slight modifications to the original recipe to make it a gluten-free cake. The result was amazing!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup Tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup coffee, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces whipped topping (such as Cool Whip), thawed
- 1/2 cup chocolate gluten free Oreo style Cookie crumbs (such as Glutino)
- 1/2 cup prepared fudge frosting (any brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9x13x2-inch pan, 2 9-inch round pans, 3 8-inch round pans or 1 10-inch round pan and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla; beat 1 minute.
- Gradually add remaining ingredients (alternating wet and dry) and beat for 2 to 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan(s) and bake for approximately 40 to 45 minutes or so until cake is done. Cool for 5 minutes and carefully remove from pan(s). Note: 8-inch and 9-inch cakes will bake in less time than 10-inch and 9x13x2-inch cakes so check for doneness.
- Using an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, salt, peanut butter until smooth.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in whipped topping until smooth. Chill frosting for about an hour (even overnight is okay). This frosting tastes like a creamy peanut butter mousse.
- Spread cake with frosting and sprinkle all over with chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs. Garnish with chopped peanut butter cups and warmed fudge frosting or as desired.
- Cut each peanut butter cup in half and place it on the cake (as shown in the photo).