Submitted by Dominique
Here is a Southern French recipe. It is naturally gluten-free and I did not have to modify it. Not only is it good for my gluten-allergic friends and relatives, but it also happens to be very popular with just about anybody!
Equipment: a 10 ½ inch round baking dish (although if it’s smaller it works too)
Unsalted butter for preparing the tart pan
1 lb onions, peeled
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stemmed
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
4 large eggs
1/4 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons liquid cream
- Preheat the oven to 425° F
- Generously butter the bottom and sides of the baking dish (although I have been known to use Pam). Set aside
- Slice the onions into very thin slices.
- In a skillet combine onions, butter, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Sweat over moderate heat, covered, until the onions are soft (they should not be caramelized or turn brown.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk just to blend. Whisk in the milk and cream.
- Transfer the onions to the prepared baking dish. Pour egg mixture over the onions and season with additional pepper and nutmeg. Place in oven and bake about 30 minutes (the quiche should be firm). Let sit about 5 minutes to firm up.
Now if you want to serve it for dinner & make it look gourmet, just before baking, arranged 6-8 anchovy filet in a wheel and separate the anchovies with a pitted black olive (it really looks pretty!).