Along came a barbecue sauce. And it was perfection.
Rufus Teague founder, John McCone started barbecuing at his own home, which quickly turned into lunches and parties. McCone knew he had something special, and when started doing contests, awards started racking up.
“Last year at the American Royal, we won the hot category and got a 3rd (Apple Mash Sauce) and 20th (Whiskey Maple Sauce) in the speciality category,” says McCone.
Not bad in the midst of 400-plus sauces in the competition.
As the story is told on the Rufus Teague website: Rufus Teague has a long history of making great sauce. From the ol’ pot he used to stir it in, to winning competitions all over the place, not much has changed to this tasty sauce. “If he was still around there’s no doubt he’d be tellin’ everybody within earshot of how he knew he had something with this recipe from day one. And remember, “Good sauce makes bad barbecue good and good barbecue gooder.”
And that’s just what the Rufus Teague products accomplishes, no doubt.
With tons of flavors and rubs in the Rufus Teague gluten-free product line, there’s a flavor and spice for everything that you’re slapping on the grill or whipping up in the kitchen. When asked which flavor is McCone’s go-to pick, he simply says, “Honey Sweet. It was the original.”
In addition to the three already mentioned, daring BBQ enthusiasts can also opt for the Touch ‘O Heat or Blazin’ Hot flavors of sauce. In addition, there is an original Steak Sauce, as well as a Spicy Steak Sauce…both which are ideal for basting or dippin’ your favorite cut of meat.
A line of rubs complete the Rufus Teague family, including a Meat Rub, Spicy Meat Rub, Fish Rub, and Steak Rub.
What is incredible is the fact that each and every sauce and rub is gluten-free, so grilling and cooking is worry-free.
“We were trying to make the product all natural and somewhat healthy,” explains McCone. “We did it (gluten-free) at that point. Right now we are in the process of getting our non-GMO certification.”
So, no matter which flavor you fancy, Rufus Teague will add a twist and tangy taste to any recipe. For more information about Rufus Teague or to check out some spicy, good dishes, go to RufusTeague.com.
To get you fired up for fall, here are some tangy recipes to kick off football season and autumn entertaining!
Makes 4 servings
4 salmon filets, about 6 ounces for each person
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Rufus Teague Fish Rub
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup Rufus Teague Honey Sweet BBQ Sauce
1/3 c brown sugar
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon worshteshire sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili flake
1. Heat your skillet with the oil to a high temperature.
2. Make sure your salmon filets are dried off, with no excess moisture on them whatsoever. Add your Rufus Teague Fish Rub to your filets, as well as salt and pepper.
3. Place the fish skin side down and allow to cook for about 4 minutes, or until the fish does not stick to the pan.
4. While the fish is cooking skin side down, add all the ingredients for the glaze in a pot. Allow it to reduce to about 1/2, until the sauce coats the back of a wooden spoon.
5. Flip the fish over to the flesh side. Cook on the flesh side for about 2 minutes
6. Once the fish is fully cooked, remove from skillet and pour glaze over the fish.
7. Serve with salad, a bed of quinoa, or even on its own!
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of hummus
2 cans garbanzo beans
1/4 cup tahini
1 lemon, juiced and zested
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoons Rufus Teague Blazin’ Hot BBQ Sauce, plus more for garnish
1 green onion, chopped fine
1. Add all ingredients food process or blender and pulse until a fine paste is formed.
2. Top with green onions and extra Blazin’ Hot BBQ Sauce. Enjoy with pita chips, your favorite vegetables, or in a wrap.
Makes 2 servings
For the Brown Sugar Bacon:
8 pieces thick cut bacon
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon Rufus Teague Meat Rub
For the Wrap:
1 whole wheat tortilla
1 beefsteak tomato, sliced 1/2” thick
1 head Boston lettuce
1 ripe avocado, sliced
1 tablespoon Rufus Teague Honey Sweet Barbecue Sauce
1. Set Oven at 400 degrees.
2. Massage bacon with brown sugar and Rufus Teague Meat Rub. Allow to sit for about 3-5 minutes.
3. Set bacon on wire rack and place in oven. Allow bacon to crisp up and get crunchy.
4. While bacon is cooking in the oven, slice up your veggies.
5. Remove bacon from wire rack, cover with foil to retain heat.
6. Warm up tortilla in microwave oven. Make sure that you do not over heat and make the tortilla brittle. You want a nice, pliable base to wrap your BLTA.
7. Once the tortilla is nice and warm, slather on a heaping tablespoon (or more!) of Rufus Teague Honey Sweet BBQ sauce.
8. Add bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado. Wrap it up and serve it alongside more Rufus Teague BBQ sauce.
Makes 6 Large Chicken Bombs
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 jalapenos, seeds and pith removed
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
16 slices uncooked bacon
1/2 cup Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple BBQ Sauce
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice your chicken into strips, similar to what you would use for chicken tenders. Set aside.
3. Mix together cream cheese, jalapenos, cheddar cheese, kosher salt, garlic salt, smoked paprika, BBQ sauce.
4. Take about a tablespoon of your cream cheese mix, smooth onto the chicken strip, and roll up into a spiral. Repeat for all your strips.
5. After you have all of your chicken rolls ready, wrap each uncooked popper with a slice or two of bacon. Brush the finished popper with some more Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple BBQ Sauce.
6. Sauté for about 3 minutes on each side. Finish in oven for 15 minutes. For extra crispy bacon, place under broiler for about 2 minutes.
7. Serve with more Rufus Teague Whiskey Maple BBQ Sauce!