From XOXO Baking
This delicious cookie is traditionally eaten on Purim, one of the most joyous and fun holidays on the Jewish calendar. But know, these don’t have to be made just once a year…you can enjoy them each and every day! Filled with your favorite flavor of fruit preserves, these definitely are a tasty sweet treat, whether you celebrate Purim or not.
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest (zest of 1 orange)
2 cups XO Baking Co. All Purpose Flour, plus more for rolling out dough
2 teaspoons baking powder
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream together the sugar and softened butter, until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, juice, and zest and continue mixing until combined. Add flour and baking powder and continue mixing until smooth dough forms. Dough will be a little sticky.
Divide dough in half and wrap each section in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
4. Remove half the dough from the fridge and roll out onto a lightly floured surface 1/8-1/4″ thick. You may need to dust the whole dough with a little flour if it’s too sticky. Cut dough into circles, using 3 or 4″ round cookie cutters. Using a teaspoon, please desired filling into the center of each round. Form a triangle with the dough, by folding and pinching each side. Repeat the same procedure with the other half of dough.
5. Place cookies onto sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. ENJOY!!
For step-by-step instructions, check out the tutorial video HERE!
It is tradition to dress up for the Purim celebration, often finding many kings and queens among the crowds. To add a little sparkle to your costume, here’s an easy guide to make crowns for the entire family to wear!
This simple project can be worn by the children after it’s been created. Great for a multitude of themes and celebrations. Use different colors appropriate for the theme or the child’s preferences.
Gold or silver poster board
Construction paper (or sparkling paper)
Paint, crayons, or felt-tip pens
Variety of glittery stickers, jewels, markers, glitter glue, construction paper
1. Cut a strip of cardboard, 3 to 4 inches wide, long enough to go around your head and overlap slightly.
2. Cut a piece of construction paper or sparkling paper) the same length, around 1 to 2 inches wide. You might need to staple two pieces together to make it long enough.
3. Glue the construction paper to the poster board so the bottom edge lines up.
4. Next, cut a zigzag in the top edge of the construction paper to make the points of the crown.
5. Now, decorate the paper side (not the cardboard side) using markers, glitter glue, stickers, and shapes cut from from the extra construction paper. When done, staple the back of the crown together to hold. And now you have your very own crown!