With Thanksgiving almost here, it is time to start thinking about the stuffing that will adorn your family’s dinner table. To help alleviate some of your menu planning stress, here are some delicious, gluten-free stuffing recipes from Jones Dairy Farm. The apples give the recipes a cozy holiday flavor.
These stuffing recipes – as well as over 40 others, recipe demonstrations, and cooking tips can be found on www.StuffingandMore.com. The best part about this stuffing recipe collection…each recipe features certified gluten-free products from Jones Dairy Farm!
Brown Butter Apple, Leek and Jones Bacon Stuffing (shown above)
Makes 10 servings
1 large or 2 small regular or gluten-free baguettes (1 pound total), cut into 1-inch cubes
8 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Cherry Hardwood Bacon, chopped
3 leeks, white portion only, sliced in half, washed, and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 large shallot, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
2 – 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9×13″ baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside. Place baguette cubes onto 2 baking sheets; bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Remove from oven; let cool completely on baking sheet.
2. Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towel-lined plate to drain then remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Add leeks, celery and shallot to skillet, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until tender, 10 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute. Remove mixture to very large bowl and set aside.
3. Add butter to medium skillet. When foaming occurs, start swirling skillet until butter turns caramel brown. Add apples and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes. One minute before apples are done, add chopped sage then stir to combine.
4. Add apples, bread cubes, cooked bacon, and dried cherries to leek and celery mixture then drizzle in 2 cups chicken broth and stir to combine. If you like a more moist stuffing, add up to 1/4 cup more chicken broth. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp on top. Check after 20 minutes. If stuffing starts to brown too quickly, loosely place foil on top then continue baking.
*To make ahead: Complete recipe through sautéing the apples a day ahead of time then refrigerate recipe components separately. Store bread cubes in an airtight bag or container. When ready to bake, follow directions to combine all components and add chicken broth.
Makes 8 servings
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup uncooked blend of Wild Rice, Brown Rice, White Rice and/or Red Rice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 (12 oz) Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
2 Gala or Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1/2 cup Southern Comfort liquor
2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon Bouquet Garni
1/2 cup ice water
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread chopped pecans on ungreased baking sheet and bake 5-7 minutes. Watch closely – pecans should be fragrant and darker in color but not too dark or burned.
2. In medium saucepan, bring water, rice, salt, black pepper and chicken bouillon granules to boil over high heat; stir and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes. Without removing lid; turn off heat and let stand 5-10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place oil and butter in large skillet (preferably cast-iron). Once hot, add diced onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir well and turn heat to medium-low. Let onions cook 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until tender and golden brown. Add brown sugar and stir well. Cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring often; remove from heat and set aside.
4. In large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, crumbling as it cooks. Add apple and cook until tender and sausage is cooked through. Add Southern Comfort and cook 1 more minute.
5. In large bowl, add cooked rice mixture, toasted pecans, caramelized onions, cooked sausage mixture, parsley, Bouquet Garni, and ice water.Mix well.
6. Pour mixture into greased 1.5-quart casserole. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes until heated thoroughly and golden on top.