When isn’t it a great time to plan a get-together with your besties…a casual lunch, some great conversation, and quality time with friends. What’s even better is having a few easy go-to recipes that will WOW your guests when it’s your turn to host. Well, Jones Dairy Farm has got you covered with some tasty soups and salads. So simple to make and – best of all -they are gluten-free and low carb!
Makes 4 servings
2 cups Jones Dairy Farm ham, julienne sliced
8 cups mixed salad greens or torn bibb lettuce
16 asparagus spears, trimmed, cooked and chilled
1 pint red or yellow cherry or teardrop tomatoes
4 hard cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon balsamic or raspberry vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Arrange greens over four large plates or shallow bowls.
2. Arrange ham, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and eggs over greens.
3. Sprinkle tarragon over salads.
4. Combine oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well. Drizzle dressing over salads.
Makes 6 servings
2 cups Jones Dairy Farm ham, diced
4 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
4 cups chicken broth
2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2″ pieces
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 cup cream or half and half (optional)
Salt to taste
3 tablespoons fresh dill, chives or parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add leeks; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add broth, potatoes and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
5. Use an immersion blender to puree soup or transfer mixture (in 3 batches) to a food processor; process until smooth.
6. Stir in diced ham and, if desired, cream. Season to taste with salt.
7. Reheat before serving; top with dill.
Makes 4 servings
4 slices Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon, diced
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
For the lime vinaigrette:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
Zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 teaspoons sugar, or more to taste
1. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
2. In large bowl, combine romaine lettuce, avocado, tomatoes, corn, goat cheese, and bacon; set aside.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime zest, juice, and sugar. Pour vinaigrette over lettuce and toss gently to coat. Serve immediately.
Makes 8 generous 2-cup servings
8-ounce dry-aged cherry hardwood smoked bacon
1 large shallot, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
8 cups turkey (or chicken) stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups raw sweet potato, peeled and chopped
4 cups cooked turkey meat, shredded or chopped
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop the raw bacon into 1-inch pieces. Brown the bacon in a medium saute pan until slightly crisp. Remove about 1/4 cup of the bacon, crumble and set aside for garnish.
2. Add the shallots and celery to the bacon and grease in the pan, cooking until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the turkey stock, whipping cream, and shredded cheddar cheese, whisking until melted and mostly smooth. Carefully add the sweet potato, turkey, parsley, and liquid smoke; simmer about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
4. Whisk in the xanthan gum and cook for 5 more minutes, or until slightly thickened.
5. Stir in the fresh thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with cooked bacon and more fresh thyme leaves.